Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Chicken Stir Fry







Invest in a good wok. It will make you happy. At least for the evening.










Ingredients
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut in strips
Carrots
Broccoli
Red pepper
Mushrooms
Onion
Bok choy
Bean sprouts
6 cloves garlic, minced (more or less)
Dried, crushed red chillies (as much as you like - I just keep pouring until I start to cough - you might not want to do that!)
Dark sesame oil + any other oil of choice
3/4 cup boiling water
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar

Steamed rice
Crushed peanuts
  1. Slice the chicken and put in another bowl. 
  2. Chop all the veggies and put them in a bowl.  I use 3 bowls. One for carrots, one for the bean sprouts and green parts of the bok choy, and one for the rest of the veggies and the white parts of the bok choy. (Yes, the kitchen will be a disaster when you're done.)
  3. Mince the garlic; put half with the chicken and half with the veggies.
  4. Heat the oil in the wok, I use half sesame and half olive oil. The sesame oil gives an amazing flavour.
  5. Throw in some crushed chillies along with the chicken and garlic. You can sprinkle A LITTLE bit of salt on the chicken. Stir fry until the chicken is no longer pink and then remove it from the wok and put it into yet another bowl.
  6. Heat more oil in the wok; throw in some more crushed chillies followed by the veggies. Now this is where all the bowls come from: carrots take longer to cook and bean sprouts, not so much. The other veggies sit somewhere in the middle. So...I stir fry the carrots for a bit, then throw in the next batch of veggies and when they are almost done, I add the green parts of the bok choy and the bean sprouts. I like to keep my veggies a little crispy and this helps them keep their bright colours.
  7. Somewhere in the middle of doing all of the above, boil the water and stir in the peanut butter, soy sauce and brown sugar. And pour yourself a cup of tea with the leftover water in the kettle. (I can't resist doing that when I am cooking. The sound of boiling water in a kettle gets me every time.)
  8. Don't forget to start the rice cooker! If you don't have a rice cooker, well I just feel sorry for you. They start at $12 at Wal-Mart. Just do it. I can't help you with stove top rice. I don't remember how to boil it.
  9. When the veggies are done, throw the chicken back in the wok and add the sauce. Stir it around until it's melted. This only takes a minute or so. That's it. Resist the urge to boil the life out of it. Because you will do exactly that. You will kill it.
  10. You don't have to follow all the ingredients. You can leave something out if you don't like it. Likewise, if you really like another vegetable, use it. 
  11. One more thing: not all soy sauces are created equal. Some have enough sodium to cure and preserve an elephant. Like a gazillion milligrams of sodium per teaspoon. That's just wrong. The Heart and Stroke Foundation will come knocking on your door looking for donations. 
  12. Wow! That sounds like a lot of instructions and a lot of work! It's actually a really quick meal to make. It took me about 40 minutes from the time I got home from the grocery store to the time I sat down to eat.






No comments:

Post a Comment