Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Southwestern Burritos

Several years ago I spent some time in Texas, where people love to eat! It's true, everything is big in Texas - big oil pumps, big cowboy hats, big belt buckles, big dinner plates and big toilet paper rolls (you think I'm kidding). I never ate so much food in my life. I was introduced to jalapeños, enchiladas, breakfast burritos - and Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls. I have waited nine years to sink my teeth into one of those gems. Of course, now that I've discovered that Fargo has a Chili's and a real Mexican restaurant, I shall return. Just for the food. I also discovered, compliments of Google, that many people have tried copying Chili's Soutwestern Egg Rolls, so here is my version. I don't know why Chili's called them egg rolls because they use tortillas. This one looks more like a burrito and I don't deep fry them, which is sad because it's really good that way! But when you eat as many as I have in the last month or so, it's a good thing they're not coated in grease. I have a confession to make, I hid the last one yesterday so I could have it for lunch. Sorry honey! I'll make you some more, I promise.

2 large chicken breast fillets, seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic
Olive oil 
1 cup red pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, diced
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 bag fresh spinach or 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained 
1 1/3 cups frozen corn 
1 cup black beans, cooked
1 tsp cumin 
1 tsp chilli powder 
Salt  
Cayenne pepper 
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese 

12 flour tortillas

Avocado Ranch Sauce
1 avocado, mashed
1/2 cup mayonnaise 
1/2 cup sour cream 
2 tbsp buttermilk 
3 tsp white vinegar 
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp dried parsley 
1/2 tsp onion powder 
1/4 tsp dried dill weed 
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Cracked Pepper

1. Grill the chicken on a barbecue or indoor grill. I used the George Foreman grill since it is currently minus a billion outside and I draw the line at barbecuing past -20 C. 


2. Saute the red pepper, jalapeño, green onion and garlic. If you don't like the heat, remove the seeds from the jalapeño. Really, what's the point of using a jalapeño if you're going to throw away the best part? Just use a green pepper and save your hands from being on fire for a few hours.


3. Add spinach, corn, beans and seasonings. Omit the cayenne pepper if you can't take the heat. Continue cooking until the spinach is wilted and the mixture is hot. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. (No one will know if you cut off a chunk of that Monterey Jack and eat it.) The last time I made these, they were for a bridal shower. I doubled the recipe and got stingy with the Monterey so I used half Monterey and half mozzarella (minus the one little chunk of Monterey).

4. Assemble burritos. You may end up with more or less, depending on how much filling you put in each one. At this point you can throw them on the grill if you plan on eating them right away or wrap them individually in foil to refrigerate or freeze for later. If you don't have a grill, you can just bake them in the oven, wrapped or unwrapped, depending on how crunchy you want them.

5. Serve with Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce. You don't have to, but you should. You can cut these in half and use them as an appetizer or leave them whole and make it a meal.

6. To make the sauce, throw everything in a blender or food processor. If you're using something like Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise (I personally thinking mayo is disgusting unless you disguise it in a recipe), just omit the vinegar.


No comments:

Post a Comment