Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Crispy Oatmeal Cookies

Now this is a perfect afternoon...



Okay, now before you all get jealous on me, the tea cup was empty, the cookies were still frozen and I was up to my eyeballs in chilli. I made so much I couldn't fit it in the pot. Actually, this happens every time I make chilli, so I should not be surprised. And I have yet to crack open that book.

These cookies were originally called Ranger Cookies. My mom remembers eating them when she was a wee lass. Not these particular ones, of course. I changed the ingredients considerably, so I thought they should have a new name. That, or the fact I've never seen a ranger or his cookies.

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups crisp rice cereal
2 cups large flake oats
1 cup unsweetened coconut


  1. Cream butter and sugars.
  2. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
  3. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  4. Get your hands in there and mix in the cereal, oatmeal and coconut.
  5. Drop onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 F (180ยบ C) for 8 minutes.

The original recipe called for raisins, which I detest in anything baked, but you may not have the same sentiments, so feel free to add some. I cut out some of the sugar from the original recipe. Feel free to experiment there. You could use all white or all whole wheat flour in this recipe. I wouldn't substitute quick oats. It does horrible things to recipes calling for large flake oats. Crisp rice cereal, AKA Rice Krispies. I was trying to be all 'brand name free'. Which leads me another rabbit trail. The No Name version makes for a ghastly batch of Rice Krispies Squares. Don't do it!

1 comment: